Monday, October 27, 2008

Early Birthday

I came home from New York today. My mom was acting all weird on the phone making sure I was going to get in at a certain time and everything, giving me the third degree. She said she was having company over for dinner at 5pm. I didn't think there was anything wrong with that so I continued to ride the bus home. I napped for most of the ride since I left for the bus station at 7:40 this morning. I also got a little reading done on the bus and before bed last night.

When I got home, I tried to go into the room where I drop off all my stuff after a trip, but found it to be locked. I asked my mom why it was locked and she said she didn't want me to go in there. That's when I figured out she was throwing me a little birthday dinner. Sure enough, when I got the door opened there were some balloons and the table was set for a dinner party. All my stuff that I left around the table and on the floor had been moved. My sister even came home for a couple of hours from Newport, RI which was nice of her. I forgot to call her on her birthday a month ago which I still feel bad about. Well, I did, but it was several hours late. It's the thought that counts?

My birthday isn't even until Thursday which is why I didn't catch onto my parent's scheme earlier. 23. Is there anything good about turning 23? I don't think so. Is there anything good about getting any older? It's highly debatable, but I'd prefer to hang onto my youth.

Over the weekend, I missed a fantasy basketball draft, but my team turned out ok I think. Of course, there are some picks I would not have made if I were present at the draft, but I think I have something I could work with. I've had decent luck and results the past 3 seasons, so I hope the trend continues.

I was putting some SEAD pictures on a CD for two friends earlier tonight which made me miss SEAD a lot and I got a text message from a SEAD student over the weekend too. Because I came home for the dinner, I missed (without even realizing it until it was much too late) a SEAD even in Boston. I wished that I had remember, but I guess it would've been futile because of the "surprise" birthday dinner. If I had stayed in Boston after getting off the New York bus, I would've probably disappointed my parents and neglected all the work and cooking they did to surprise me. Still, I miss SEAD a lot and it would've been a great opportunity to see the students from the Boston area and other staff members that I've worked with and past SEAD staff and supporters. I'm glad, though, that the SEAD III reunion in Hanover is only a couple of weeks away. I'm very excited to see everyone, catch up, and work on those college applications. I've heard rumors of staff traveling as far as Denver and Nashville to be at the reunion.

No comments: