Thursday, December 4, 2008

Vindicated!

Tonight was my first night playing in the old man basketball league. I was the youngest person there by about 20 years over the next youngest guy. I had a lot of fun though. Maybe it had something to do with the age of my opponents, but I actually played decently well - no airballs at least. I felt like my conditioning and stamina were way up from the last time I played, which ,if you read the post about it, was pretty awful. I wasn't dying after half a game and had enough legs left to make a jump shot late in games. I also noticed that I was easily the smallest person there. These are some pretty large old guys. I didn't have a white or dark shirt, so I had to borrow them from two of the smaller guys and the shirts were still huge on me. Anyway, the fitness plan is getting underway and I'm feeling not so old anymore.

I also saw a German film called The Lives of Others (Das Leben der Anderen) yesterday. It's about a Stasi officer, trained in the art of interrogation, who is put on a case to monitor the actions of a prominent writer through surveillance. The story takes place in the mid 1980s in East Berlin, and I really enjoyed it. For some reason, I have a strange affinity for foreign films. I don't mind reading subtitles and actually prefer that to dubbing. There's just something about a foreign film that is exactly that, foreign. It's different from what I'm used to seeing. I saw Cinema Paradiso last spring and would like to reccomend it for your viewing pleasure.

Here's a haiku to wet your whistle:

Usually, haikus often deal with nature themes, but I'm going to steer away from that briefly for this one. It's called "Kobe Bryant: Unworthy".

Great waste of talent.
Rather shoot than pass the ball.
Kobe, MVP?

And here is a picture of old men playing basketball. They're certainly not the guys I played with, but you can google image search just about anything.

No comments: