Friday, December 19, 2008

Lots of Snow

There's a pretty big snowstorm sweeping its way through the northeast right now. It started snowing here around 2 or 3 pm and has continued and is expected to continue snowing throughout the night. Right now, there's only about an inch or two, but we're supposed to expect around 6-8 inches. It's the first significant snowfall of the winter around my area, and it reminds me so much of my winters at Dartmouth. It's not nearly as cold as Dartmouth winters, but the snow is just as pure and white. It glistens when illuminated by the headlights of passing cars as well as the stationary holiday decorations. I just got back from shoveling. It's rather windy, but there are still some kids in the neighborhood enjoying the snow. I saw a snowmobile pulling a sled with kids hanging on. I'm reminded of the time a couple of my friends put on skis and got pulled down the street on top of fresh powder by a Ford Explorer before the plows could push the snow aside. Upon closer inspection out my window, I see that the snowmobile I mentioned is in fact a 4-Wheeler/ATV. I'm hoping this storm doesn't knock out the power. I feel like I wouldn't know how to entertain myself without electricity.

Celtics play tonight; they will attempt to keep their winning streak alive and improve on their franchise-best starting record. They're the best team in the NBA right now and playing incredible defense, anchored by Kendrick Perkins and Kevin Garnett. Another basketball note: Brandon Roy of the Portland Trail Blazers scored an impressive career-high 52 points against the Phoenix Suns. I was glad I got to watch that game. Normally, I probably wouldn't go out of my way to see such a game, but Roy is a player on my fantasy basketball team, so I was more invested in the outcome. And what an outcome it was! He scored 52 points on better than 50% shooting from the field, 19 of 21 from the charity stripe, 5 rebounds, 6 assists, 1 blocked shot, and no turnovers. Another noteworthy mention is the play of Blazers point guard, Steve Blake. Blake, matched up against the perennial All-Star, Steve Nash, arguably played his best game since being drafted into the NBA from Maryland (Hi Pauline!). Blake outscored Nash, dropping 22 points including 4 baskets from behind the arc. Blake also assisted on 10 buckets, grabbed 4 boards, had 4 thefts, and commited zero turnovers. 10 assists, 0 turnovers. I'm a sucker for a high assist to turnover ratio, so you can imagine how happy this made me. Steve Blake is also on my fanstasy basketball team, so I had a pretty good night.

It's still snowing a lot, so I'll leave you with a haiku:

Deep in the forest,
Where no footsteps have yet tred,
Snow rests on tall pines.

No comments: