Monday, April 13, 2009

Good News

Yesterday, the ship captain who was taken hostage by the Somali pirates was safely rescued and returned to his Vermont home. I've been watching this story on the news for the last several days and I'm really glad that everything turned out ok. From what I heard, these pirates boarded a ship and tried to hijack it, but the crew fought back and nearly got rid of the pirates themselves. The captain, fearing for the safety of his crew, offered himself as a hostage to the pirates. They held him inside a life boat for several days until a group of snipers took out the pirates in a successful rescue. I have tremendous respect for the captain and his fortitude as well as the Navy, which handled a potentially disastrous situation. My guess is that this Halloween, we're going to see a dramatic drop in pirate costumes. You heard it here first.

I heard news last night that I was offered a position on the SEAD staff again this summer. I'm pretty excited about the opportunity to be back in Hanover for a month in July. Some of my best memories have been made during the summer months at Dartmouth. I'm also looking forward to seeing who else I'll get to work with this summer. Blogging will also be a lot easier while I'm at SEAD because I'll be busy doing stuff all day which I'll be able to write about before going to bed each night. My life is pretty boring right now and blogging is becoming more and more difficult. 

I like the warming trend that seems to be taking place. I wouldn't mind some more of that.

No comments: